Contact the fraud department of each of the three major credit bureaus (listed below) and report that you think your identity has been stolen. Ask that a “Fraud Alert” be placed on your file and that no new credit be granted without your approval. A “Credit Freeze” on your credit records can also be requested through the credit bureaus. A copy of an official police report may be required by the credit bureau.
P. O. Box 105873
Order Credit Report: 1-800-685-1111
Report Fraud: 1-800-525-6285
P. O. Box 2104
Order Credit Report: 1-888-397-3742
Report Fraud: 1-800-301-7195
P. O. Box 34012
Order Credit Report: 1-800-916-8800
Report Fraud: 1-800-680-7289
- When contacting the Credit Reporting Agency, you should request the following:
- Instruct them to flag your file with a fraud alert including a statement that creditors should get your permission before opening any new accounts in your name.
- Ask them for copies of your credit report(s). (Credit bureaus must give you a free copy of your report if it is inaccurate because of suspected fraud.) Review your reports carefully to make sure no additional fraudulent accounts have been opened in your name or unauthorized changes made to your existing accounts.
- Be diligent in following up on your accounts. In the months following an incident, order new copies of your reports to verify your corrections and changes, and to make sure no new fraudulent activity has occurred.
- If you find that any accounts have been tampered with or opened fraudulently, close them immediately. To ensure that you do not become responsible for any debts or charges, use the ID Theft Affidavit Form developed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to help make your case with creditors.
Free Credit Bureau Reports can be received once a year from each of the credit bureaus. Those free reports can be obtained by:
- Visiting www.annualcreditreport.com and fill out an on line request.
- Calling 877-322-8228.
Printing out the annual credit report request form at www.ftc.gov/credit and mailing it to Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.